Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Rat Race in NYC - Extrovert v Introvert

Some of us really enjoy the lifestyle that NYC has to offer. Living in the center of global activities and one of the biggest (if not the biggest) metropolitan cities in the world. Then there are some of us who would never think of living in a city like NYC. Perhaps visiting the city once every five years to take in the sights, enjoy a show or two, dine/wine at a 4-star restaurant, and indulge in shopping; but one week is enough and would rather go back to the slower and quieter lifestyle. 

There's no doubt in my mind that to live and survive in NYC, you have to participate in the rat race - whether at work, in the neighborhood, within the play date circle, or with the social circuit. It can be tiring and can wear you out. 

I was reflecting back on a client dinner I had, as I walked back to my office today. It's always fun to get together with clients over drinks, dinner, or lunch. Gets me energized to take on more challenges. Its the same when I'm with friends on the weekends. Whether its drinks at a scotch bar, wine party at home, roof top hang out, I do enjoy spending time with people and it energizes me. 

So what does it have to do with rat race? I'm entertaining the idea that my survival in NYC has something to do with the fact that I'm actually an extrovert. The reason that I'm still enjoying the NYC after over six years  must be because I enjoy being with people and it energizes me to helps me survive the rat race. I have always thought of myself as an introvert. But if "extrovert" is defined as "a person who's energized by being around other people," then there's definitely a part of me that is an extrovert; and that's the secret of my success. 

I'm not suggesting that if you don't like the lifestyle in NYC, you are an introvert. But being an extrovert does help to adjust to the fast paced rat race that NYC is. 

... or maybe its just the alcohol that's doing its magic to ease the pain and suffering from the race. ... no, I do really enjoy the life that NYC has to offer. 

No comments: